Monday, June 8, 2009

Gold Coast

Only good manners could stop me from naming this posting "The ugly Gold Coast".

The skyline you see in this picture is not Brisbane. 80 km south of Brisbane is this stretch of coast that once was really beautiful. It had wonderful beaches, very suitable for surfing and all kind of beach and water fun. It became popular -- very popular -- too popular.

Today this sad abused stretch of land is overurbanized with one apartment tower built next to the other, and still growing. It almost looks like some of the coasts of Spain, if you know what I mean. Gold Coast is now a city with its own airport, in fact the sixth most populous city in all Australia.

Once this place was where the hippies would go. Now it's all money making and only that. They built theme parks too, and I'm sure they are very good, but expensive of course. Warner Brothers Movie World, Wet'n'Wild Water World, Sea World, and a few more.

I don't plan to go into any of these parks now, I need to save my money for Fiji. But I might go later when my visitors are here, it's more fun with company anyway.

Conclusion (Fazit): The Gold Coast is a big business and certainly a great financial success -- but not my type of place to go.

No comments: