Monday, November 16, 2009

Leaving Australia

Goodbye Australia! I hope to be back soon.

Monday: 10 hours flight from Sydney to Seoul. I arrived in Seoul in the evening; Korean Air gave me accommodation in a hotel (Best Western), 25 minutes from the airport. It was 0 degrees Celsius outside. They are building big streets, bridges and skyscrapers. Driving is on the right. Reinforced concrete (Stahlbeton) wherever you look.

Tuesday: No time for any sightseeing, the bus took us back to the airport. On the flight to Frankfurt (11 hours) the aircraft had technical trouble and we had to turn around and return to Seoul. I got on another machine and finally arrived in Frankfurt 6 hours late, at 11 pm local time. No chance to get to Munich the same night, so I followed the directions for another night in a hotel. Many bows of apology from the Korean Air staff. Due to a Messe (trade fair) in Frankfurt they took us to a hotel one hour's drive away, a Steigenberger near Neustadt an der Weinstraße, where we arrived at 2 am.

Wednesday: I considered the option of doing the rest by railway instead, but then decided for the flight. After only 3 hours of sleep I had to get up and get on the bus again. There was further trouble at Frankfurt Airport. I missed one Lufthansa flight and the next one was delayed. I finally arrived in Munich on Wednesay at 11:20 am, after 60 hours of travelling. My parents and Moni had come to meet me, holding up a huge sign that said "Herzlich Willkommen Martin!" and waving a big Bavarian flag. The lost son was welcomed home like a star!

The weather in South Germany was gorgeous: sunny and not cold at all, a beautiful day. And then the next surprise waited for me: they had prepared everything for a Weisswurstfrühstück right next to the car parked outside the airport terminal. With warm Weisswurst sausages, sweet mustard, fresh pretzels and cool Weissbier in real Weissbier glasses! I was overwhelmed.

In the afternoon I saw my dear Omi (granny) and Anja with Sarah and Lisa, and we sat in my parent's conservatory (Wintergarten) and had coffee and afternoon cake, just like we had always done.



Lisa, Sarah, Moni, Mom.

5 comments:

Cori said...

Hey Martin my friend, u told me that u leave on Tuesday .. I tried to ring u .. I wish u a pleasent further flight and a happy reunion with ur family and friends .. Everythin will be different after one year traveling but it is the best experience what u can do in life. So hopefully u come back soon and may be u come to Adelaide :)
Wish u all the best and hope we keep in touch - thanks for the travel time we mad together ..
Cheers and hug
Cori :))

Anonymous said...

Hallo Martin,

es ist zwei Tage später, also Mittwoch. Du müsstest doch längst in Deutschland sein.

Gruß
Alex

Anonymous said...

Hallo Martin,

du hast jetzt deinen Montags-Tagebuch-Eintrag ergänzt. Willkommen zurück in Bayrisch-Schwaben, zumindest für ein paar Wochen.

Gruß
Alex

Anonymous said...

Kommt man grad nach Hause - und schon liest man, was man heute selbst erlebt hat! Impressing...
Nice day, wasn't it?

Gute Nacht und bis morgen! Moni

Martin Maurer said...

Hello Cori, thanks a lot! Sorry we couldn't phone anymore... I emailed you and we can still skype though.

Yes, we spent a great time and I hope to see you again too! Keep your fingers crossed.

Hallo Alex, Dankeschoen! Ich melde mich die Tage bei dir.

@Moni: Ja, war ein super Tag, vielen vielen Dank fuer den umwerfenden Empfang. Cu!