Monday, May 4, 2009

The hills

Cori has friends who live in the hills half an hour south-east of Adelaide. It's an elderly couple, John and Johanna, 79 and 78 years old. They have a beautiful 14 acre property on a hill and are very proud and happy to live in this place. They enjoy the quiet, and the view. In the distance they can see the sea. They have a Chihuahua (Sushi), there is an emu (Bom Bom) and sometimes kangaroos coming on their land. Life is good there, far from the noise and rush of the city.

Two years ago, in 2007, they were unfortunately struck with a devastating bushfire that came up their hill, but like a miracle their house survived. The big trees of their bushland are all dead stumps and will be so for the next decades, but already the new seedlings of eucalypt begin to grow quickly.

John and Johanna are Dutch, but have been in Australia since the 1950s. Before, they had met in a Nazi Arbeitslager, where they had fallen in love. They see what happened in history as a result of the history before; they see the human side to it all and refuse painting in black and white, a sensible approach I think. Anyway, after they got married they left Europe for Australia. Their three children now have families of their own and grandma and grandpa retired to the Adelaide hills.

They were happy to see Cori again after more than a year, and invited us to stay in their house. Cori only stayed for one night because she had to work on Monday and Tuesday, but I stayed for four nights -- it's nicer here than in the hostel, and I have good company in J+J.

On Sunday we visited Hahndorf, a German heritage village. They have German food, Bavarian beer, and even a yodeling accordeon player in Lederhosen. All cliches are met! The sun shone into the reddened autumn leaves and we enjoyed the curious but relaxed atmosphere of the village.

The charm of this region, as I see it, comes from the mixture: it looks half European, in a way, and half Australian. And I am lucky to be here in this season because I think this part of Australia has the most beautiful looks in autumn. Thinking of it, it must feel strange for you of my readers in Germany to see these inverted seasons, while you're in spring.

On Monday John took me for a day trip through the hills. He showed me the Herbig Family Tree, an old hollow eucalypt tree in which a pious (fromme) German family named Herbig had lived from 1855 to 1860 -- a curiosity that is still remembered today.

On Tuesday John and I laboured all day, removing a tree stump from their garden. We had an axe and four chainsaws which were all blunt... The physical work was good fun, and I was happy to get a chance to give old John a hand.

On Wednesday I said goodbye to J+J, and John drove me back to Glenelg. Cori was free from work, and the two of us drove to Barossa Valley where the famous wineyards are. That was a nice relaxed day, and we spent my last evening in Adelaide in a pub in Glenelg which had a karaoke night. Cori and I just had a drink and listened (some good voices and some not quite so good ones...), we didn't participate; I don't mind singing for an audience but I prefer to sing songs I have practised a few times before...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

u always said JACK .. but is JOHN !! :)) nice greetings and a hug from Cori :))

Martin Maurer said...

Oooooooooops, yes, my bad!

*correcting ASAP*