Saturday, February 20, 2010

My new home

I moved to my new home, a shared house (eine Haus-WG) in the suburb of Greenwich on Sydney's "North Shore".

I'm very happy because the location is fantastic. It's a quiet street and it's directly next to the beautiful remainder of untouched bushland that I had discovered three weeks ago (see This is Sydney too).

The house is built on a steep down slope (an einen steilen Abwaertshang gebaut). Because of that it is not visible from the street and on the other side (where my room is) it is in the height of the tree crowns. We get lots of birds there, and I greatly enjoy the "rainforest" feeling of that side. This photo is the morning sun coming in through my window, so this is what I see when I wake up!

The house itself doesn't have a view, which is probably why it is in not such good condition and needs some cleaning and repair, and this in turn is why it is affordable despite the good location. And when you walk just 100 m down the street you get a beautiful view of the harbour and the city in the distance (see photo).

From here I can get to work conveniently by train (or maybe also by bicycle). So all in all, I think the place is ideal for me!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

sagt man nicht oft "das glück ist mit den Dummen"...? na, hast du ja mal das gegenteil bewiesen. schaut echt guuuut aus! gruß ziggy

Anonymous said...

Hallo Martin,
es schaut ja ganz toll aus - auch der Blick auf Sydney-downtown! Spektakulär!! Es freut mich sehr, dass du so was nettes gefunden hast!
Liebe Grüße Anja

Anonymous said...

Schon bei Google-Map konnte man die gute Lage Deiner Wohnung sehen. Hoffentlich kannst Du das Innere auch auf Vordermann bringen.
lieber Gruß
Papa und Mama

Anonymous said...

Hallo Martin,

solange die Funktion der technischen Einrichtungen im Haus (Fenster, Türen, Bad, Küche, Waschküche) einwandfrei sind, und kein Ungeziefer herumläuft, denke ich kommst du mit dem Haus klar.
Die Lage scheint ja ganz toll zu sein.
Gruß
Alex

Unknown said...

Hi Martin, random message - I'm Lucy, my parents are the chocolate makers of Murrumbateman and are mates with Evelyn and Richard at Schonegg. E&R mentioned that a friend of theirs (i.e.you) had just moved to Sydney so thought I'd drop a line to say hello and if you need info, help, a tour around this wonderful city or just a coffee, feel free to give me a call - I've lived in the UK twice, plus a year in Rome and Sicily and know how it really helps knowing someone local. I live in Darlinghurst and work over in Mosman. Rightyho, you can catch me on lucy.rowe@liw3.com or mobile: 0431184774. Speak soon! L

Bart said...

Superhaus!