Thursday, February 11, 2010

This and that

The rain is over, for the moment, and it's hot again. This week I started looking for a room to rent. I haven't looked for a car yet because I might not need one: depending on where I will live, parking can be a problem and I might also go for car sharing if I need a car only occasionally.

Through Sydney LETS, I joined a contact improvization dance class that's on Monday evenings. It's fun, and I can feel the exercise is also really good for me. It's in Newtown and I can get there by train.

The coming up weekend is Chinese New Year (end of the year of the Ox, beginning of the year of the Tiger) and also Singles Awareness Day (Valentine's Day). I plan to spend the weekend out of town, in Rosco Club, seeing my musical friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hallo Martin,

wie sieht der Fasching in Sydney aus? Es sind doch viele hier mit europäischen und südamerikanischen Wurzeln. In Brasilien sind jedenfalls Anfang nächster Woche fast alle Firmen zu, hat mir ein Kollege aus Brasilien gesagt.

Hellau, Alaf, Carnival Sydney
Greetings from Alex

Martin Maurer said...

Fasching als solchen, wie wir ihn kennen gibt's nicht, zumindest nicht soweit ich sehe. Es sind zwar schon viele mit eurpaeischen Wurzeln hier, aber die meisten eben doch aus Grossbritannien, und da gibt's a auch keinen richtigen Fasching. Vielleicht dass es irgendwo kleinere Veranstaltungen gibt, das mag sein.

Was es aber gibt und was bekannt ist, ist der Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras, eine faschingsaehnliche Grossveranstaltung im Stil von Carneval in Rio, organisiert von, fuer und mit Schwulen, Lesben, Bis, Transen und was weiss ich noch. Der findet jetzt in diesen Tagen in Sydney statt. Davon schreib ich vielleicht spaeter noch mehr im Blog, falls ich dazu komme.