Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Cradle Mountain


Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park is one of the best known attractions of Tasmania. You can camp or get accommodation at the entrance of the park. A shuttle bus takes you from the visitor centre into the park, where you can do a day hike, or half-day hike, to lakes and lookouts. Those who really seek a challenge can walk -- in small groups, properly equipped and registered -- the famous 6-day overland trek that takes them all through the huge national park.

I did a lovely short (3 hour) walk to Crater Lake, Marion's Lookout, Wombat Lake and back. After a very cold night (maybe 6-8°C) the day became sunny and warm, and again I found myself taking so many photos. This walk in quiet natural beauty and serenity was really good for the soul. There were people, but it was not overcrowded.

On the campsite I saw wallabys, and on the hike I saw a wombat. I also took a lot of photos of plants today -- button grass, pandani, myrtle beech, pink mountain berry, bauera, boronia, and a couple of others whose names I need to look up....










Oh, and I had the abalones tonight, and they were really very tasty.

No comments: