Thursday, March 26, 2009

Melbourne

Mike drove me to the airport, the flight (Jetstar, $59 one-way) was on time, and Siow Boon was there to pick me up in Melbourne -- everything is going smoothly and comfortable again! :)

I was really happy to see my friend again. For your background: We know each other from the time when we both worked in the same IT company in Malaysia, and she had visited me half a year later while she was on a tour in Germany. Then, in 2001, she got married to Ben, and now they live as a Chinese family with two children (Yisen, aged 5, and Hongsen, aged 3) in Melbourne. Siow Boon was very happy to see me too, and has kindly offered to accommodate me in their house in one of the eastern suburbs. Ben is also very friendly, and the boys were a bit shy at first, but I think they will overcome that quickly.

My first day in Melbourne was not bad. I explored the heart of the city, and found the fabulous State Library -- which is currently my favourite place here, I think. It is a library like it should be. Students sitting in the grass outside, and inside in front of their computers and books, reading, writing, and yes: sleeping too. The library is open to the public and has a big general section of books, a separate big room for Australiana, a room for chess (literature and playing), and staff-assisted collections of rare books, manuscripts and pictures. There are splendid reading desks. To me, this is a holy place of wisdom and thought, much more than any church.

They also have a current exhibition on the history of books -- from hand-written bibles to the Gutenberg press, from books that changed history (Martin Luther etc.) to books that had a deep impact on society (Marx, Freud, etc.).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey martin, konnte den BIGBOND stick von Kevin in my laptop stecken.. cool, so kann i an meinem MAC arbeiten.. John hat mich heut leider versetzt, er sagte er is gegen 10 uhr hier und ob wir aufn caffee abcatchen wollen, hm nu is es 12 - tja, typical australians, time is nothin !werd heut my alte arbeit besuchen und mit Maria quatschen .. dann mal schauen, weather is sunny, blue sky .. so - have fun in melbourne and talk to u soon, cori :))

Anonymous said...

nochmal ich :) sitze heut zum ersten mal bei macdonalds und benutze free internet - dat geht ja cool und einfach !! liebe gruesse aus Adelaide - is jetz um 8 hier und es wird langsam frisch .. bis denne, Cheers Cori :))