Monday, March 23, 2009

Engine trouble and new friends

Bad news. My engine has had a major breakdown and it is not going to be an easy repair. After the mechanic has had a look at it and I considered all options, I decided to have an all new engine built in (plus a new radiator, hoses, and clutch). It will take until Tuesday next week.

To make best use of the waiting time, I decided to fly to Melbourne to my friend Siow Boon who I know from 10 years ago in Malaysia.

I also met up with a friend's friend here, Christina, who invited me to her house in Greens Beach for dinner and hosted me for one night. She lives with her cocker spaniel aptly named Guinness (all black with a white snout), and she's a friend of Treska, who is a neighbour I know from Sydney.

And then I met Mike on the nudist beach, who turned out to be a friend of Christina... and he invited me as well (as Christina has to go back to Hobart where she has her other house and business to do). It's really good to be in a country like Australia where it's so easy to find friendly and helpful people if you speak the language and are friendly and open-minded yourself.

I stayed for one day at Mike's house too (also in Greens Beach), and he is driving me back to Launceston airport today. Greens Beach is another "end of the world" place, very secluded, with a nice view across the mouth of Tamar River to the lighthouse at Low Head we'd seen close-up earlier. The lighthouse is called "Blinking Billy" here... (3 times in 30 seconds :) And if you go west from Greens Beach, you can walk on a track right into another national park for bushwalking. There's no-one there, no cars, and you can go as far as you like, 1 km or 40 km! (I went twice for just about an hour each.)

Meanwhile, Cori has arrived safely in Adelaide and she has also updated her own blog, in German and with more photos, so I thought I'd share the link here, please have a look!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey martin, how r u goin? Do u know how long does it takes now? am still exhausted here in Glenelg, had a swim today, its hot.. was a beautiful time with u = thank u and all the best, hope u can leavin very soon and it doesnt cost too much.. Have written my blog, so have a look :) see ya, Cori :))

Martin Maurer said...

Hi Cori, thanks for your comment! I just updated this posting, it's going to take roughly until next Tuesday (in 1 week) to repair the car. And I decided not to buy a new campervan but invest the money to have this one put in good shape.

Und super dein Blog-Update, ich hab ihn gleich verlinkt... :)

Cheers and keep in touch! Martin