Saturday, March 7, 2009

Hobart








A nice city, just the right size. Hobart is the largest city in Tasmania and is the state capital, with a population of just 200,000. That gives you an idea of how rural Tassie is -- luckily. I personally find cities the size of Munich, Sydney or Melbourne oversized -- too crowded, too big, too traffic-digested, too loud and stressful.

What I find pleasant about Hobart is that there are no skyscrapers. 98% of the city is suburban bliss, the popular Australian type of one-storey houses. These houses go up the hills with a fair amount of green in between. There is enough space. And here in Hobart the houses look more colourful than elsewhere. The roofs are as multi-coloured as the houses themselves: even green and blue!

So I kind of like the city. However, Hobart doesn't seem to have a "face". I mean, there are many pretty corners here, but still it is difficult to take a good "photo of Hobart". In Sydney, you can easily take a photo of the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. In Paris you'd go for the Eiffel Tower, in Rome for the Colosseum, in London for the Tower Bridge and in Augsburg for the Rathaus and Perlachturm. But in Hobart, I couldn't find a real landmark. They have a bridge, but that thing, I'm sorry to say, is butt ugly and spoils any picture, rather than adding to it.

--> This is me where I'm doing my Internet at a McDonald's restaurant!

No comments: