Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Uluru (Ayers Rock)

Finally, my last big highlight of my travels in Australia: the world-famous Australian landmark, Ayers Rock, or as it is known now: Uluru!

It is located in the "Red Centre" of the continent, in the deepest outback, far from any coast. By car it would take me 2 weeks to get there. But by flight it is so easy to reach, there's a direct flight from Sydney to Ayers Rock Airport.

The rock, a massive object made of red sandstone, eroded by wind and rain for millions of years but still there, is a marvel the way it rises in the otherwise flat landscape. It is also famous for its red colour in the sunrise and sunset. This is the classic view that you find on thousands of postcards.

As you see, Uluru is majestic from a distance, but it's also awe-inspiring and fascinating when you get close up and can discover its concave and convex shapes, its smooth and coarse surfaces, varied textures, streams of water, holes and caves. I did the full walk around Uluru, which is about 10 km. I did not climb it -- the Aborigines don't like people to do that and besides, it was forbidden due to weather conditions (wind, chance of rain) when I was there.

I arrived on Monday and stayed for two nights in Ayers Rock Resort. On Tuesday I got up really early, 2 hours before sunrise, to drive (in my rental car) to the best viewing spot, and was rewarded by one of the most beautiful sunrises I've ever seen in my life. Isn't it just amazing?

And then on Tuesday I visited Kata Tjuta, which will be a separate posting.

2 comments:

Heidrun said...

Die Farben sind einfach genial, Martin. Ich geb's zu: ich bin fast ein bisschen neidisch... :-)

Martin Maurer said...

Danke! Ja, der Morgenhimmel war an dem Tag einfach super. Am schoensten war er ca. 15 Minuten *bevor* die Sonne aufging, um die Zeit ist auch das Bild entstanden.