Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Miles from nowhere

After Carnavon Gorge came Injune (not Inseptember -- sorry, I couldn't resist the bad pun!), and then Roma. I just made it with my petrol. In the outback you must make sure to fill up your tank whenever you have a chance -- the next one can be further away than you think. Roma has a lot of bottle trees (boab). These trees have trunks that look as if someone has blown them up like a rubber balloon. I couldn't help noticing that some of the local population has a certain resemblance.

Arrivederci Roma. The town that gave me a turn. After going south for 600 km, I am now going east for another 400 km, on Warrego Highway. I made a map for you to show you the route of my "winter tour" from Sydney into Queensland and now half-way back.

I spent the night in the back yard of Dulacca Hotel (Dulacca: population 88). They offer free camping, with a hot shower and even with power. Very nice of them. Now I'm typing this from Miles -- "miles from nowhere". I helped the lady at the visitor centre to fix a small computer problem, and she kindly allowed me to sit here, use the power outlet for my notebook to go on the Internet, and she even brought me a huge cup of coffee and bisquits!

I have developed a theory about friendliness that I will share later with you here on this blog.

And I was just reminded by that lady that today is the 09.09.09. Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hallo Martin,
toll interessant durch welche Schluchten Dich Deine Reise in Nordaustralien führt.
Übrigens ist heute Schnapszahl-Datum und wäre auch der 98. Geburtstag Deiner Großmutter.
Gut dass Du wieder heil aus dieser doch sehr einsamen Gegend in die Zivilisation kommst.
l. G. Mama und Papa