Saturday, September 12, 2009

Geraldo's place

I'm back to the coast. On my way here I visited Boat Mountain Conservation Park (a mountain shaped like an upturned boat, with a nice view and a walk through a 'vine forest') near Murgon, and Brooyar State Forest near Gympie. This forest has vertical rock cliffs where people can do rock climbing and abseiling (another nice germanism).

I didn't have any climbing equipment, so I just watched and took some photos.

Now I am at the place of a friend of mine, Geraldo, visiting him for 5 days and wwoofing a little. I met Geraldo two months ago while I was wwoofing at the dairy farm of Glen and Therese. He is originally from Austria and has migrated to Australia 15 years ago. He liked me and I liked him, so he invited me to come.


Geraldo and his partner Melanie (an Australian) have bought a 60-acre property between Gympie and Kin Kin, a beautiful land that I can only describe as a 'magic forest'. They plan to turn this land into a kind of commune, provided that they find the right people. They have two children aged 6 (Ruby) and 1 (Eban), a big vegetable garden, chooks, and live in self-built houses -- Geraldo is a carpenter -- almost completely self-sustainable with solar power, dam water and rain water.

These two photos show you the beauty of their land at sunrise. There were kangaroos too -- three big ones even came close to my van! One of their dams is suitable to swim in, there are two sand-pits for the children, a see-saw (Wippe) and a trampoline. And there is a real rainforest area with a little gully running through. It is a fantastic place for an 'Aussteiger' (if that is the right word?) to live in. I think I could live here, provided that I'll get a visa that would allow me to stay, and somehow work for my living.

No comments: