Sunday, September 20, 2009

'Cross the border

I have crossed the border from Queensland back into New South Wales. From the country of the "banana benders" to the country of the "cockroaches", as the locals say jokingly. Or as Werner from Cairns likes to call them, the "Mexicans". Why? South of the border.

Werner, by the way, has really discovered the joy of blogging and is so enthusiastic about this new form of sharing messages with the world that someone even drew a cartoon of him. (Who makes a cartoon of me?)

Today, while driving, I pulled over just at the right time to shoot this picture of my odometer: 444444 km. But the engine, as you know, is new and has now done just over 12000 km.

I saw the beach at Kingscliff (nice beach, but too high surf for me), passed Byron Bay (the easternmost point of Australia), Lennox Head (nice beach too), and Ballina where I visited the Thursday Plantation; you may know their brand of tea tree oil products. The tea tree, Melaleuca, is native to Australia and grows best in this region of northern NSW. The Thursday Plantation has a shop with information and product testers, and an interesting sculpture garden. I liked the "sculpture" that consisted of a white door in a door frame. No wall around it. It was placed just across the path in the forest, so that the walker had to open it and go through. Somehow very surreal. Magritte would have liked it.

The weather is sunny and hot. It should be spring here now but it feels like summer. And I was a bit surprised to see that this part of NSW grows the same crops as mid and northern Queensland: sugar cane, bananas, and so on.

BTW, anyone who wants to skype with me, tonight is a good time because I have a strong internet signal at this caravan park here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hallo Martin, dein neuer Blog ist wieder toll, ich vermisse aber ein Foto von der surrealistischen Tür mit Rahmen mitten auf dem Weg!
LG Mama

Anonymous said...

Hallo Martin,
hatte Skype, wie du geschrieben hast, aktiviert. Bist aber leider anscheinend doch nicht nachts online gewesen.
Vielleicht ein anderes mal. Viel Spaß demnächst in frühlingshaften Sydney.

Gruß
Alex

Martin Maurer said...

Hallo Mama,

Ja, leider hab ich von der Tuer kein Bild gemacht. Aber du kannst es dir ganz einfach vorstellen, einfach eine weisse Tuer, die im Wald steht.

Gruss
Martin

Martin Maurer said...

Hallo Alex,

Ja schade, da haben wir uns wohl grade zeitlich verpasst. Ich hatte den Compi abends an und morgens nochmal, aber dazwischen in der Nacht natuerlich aus.

Im Moment sieht es nicht nach Fruehling aus, siehe mein neuestes Posting mit dem Staubsturm. Aber der wird sich wohl auch wieder legen.

Gruss
Martin

Mathias Everson said...

To Martin

I will draw a cartoon of you as soon as I get me tablet for the computer. It is what I chose to spend my birthday money on.

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin, this is Heidi from Germany, insiders call me "Eighty" (that`s the name Werner gave to me when we, my son and I, visited him and Karola. Werner told me about your blog, but I thought: no, I haven`t got time to answer any German guy who Werner recommends!!! But....... The next thing was that I felt sorry for you that nobody did a cartoon for you; I thought I should comfort you - but now I realised that you got one! Good! I wrote Werner that he is going to be a VIP because of the cartoon someone made for him, because when I open the newspaper I only see cartoons of VIP`s.
How is your trip going? I read that you intend to come back for a working holiday - that sounds good. It looks to me that you like it downunder! TAke care of you
cheers Heidi