Thursday, September 3, 2009

Nudism in Australia

While I'm here in hot northern Queensland, I thought I might visit a few more nudist resorts (FKK-Campingplaetze) on my way -- there are quite a couple in this region.

Recreational nudism exists in Australia, but is less open than it is in Europe. In Australia they have so-called nudist (or naturist) resorts, but these are not usually open for everyone, and they are not listed in the same brochures as the "normal" caravan parks. Some are for club members only, others permit everyone but you must come with a partner, not alone: singles are usually not welcome. Yet others are willing to let a single in if that person has been to other resorts in Australia before. This last way is how I got admitted.

It is a sad truth that all Australian nudist resorts have a common problem: overaging. They are, effectively, mostly old peoples' clubs and fail to get enough young people in. Kein (oder viel zu wenig) Nachwuchs. I'm not sure if the young people these days are too shy to undress, or if they perhaps don't come because of that "singles unwelcome" attitude.

I was at: Valley View Nature Resort, Murrigal, and Townsville Nudist Club (TNC). All were friendly, relaxed and quiet. The last one was in the nicest nature -- by a creek with wonderful blue water to swim in. In the evening we sat around a campfire; another young man, Peter, brought his guitar and I brought mine.

That strangely shaped mountain is Castle Hill which overlooks Townsville, the biggest city of North Queensland. And if you want to see TNC's "cheeky" interpretation of how the hill might have gotten its shape, look here (adults only!).

I was just in the middle of typing this from a (normal, non-nudist) caravan park when I was suddenly surrounded by chicks -- unfortunately not pretty girls but the feathered, egg-laying type. The Aussies call them "chooks".

My dinner is managed! :)

If I were a swagman, I'd stuffed them in my tuckerbag, under the shade of a coolibah tree... (Yesterday I've finally learned that Australian national song, Waltzing Matilda!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hallo Martin,
schön, wieder was Neues von Dir zu hören. Ich glaube, die Regelungen für Nudisten-Camps sind hier ähnlich. Deine kleine Hühnerfarm hat Dir hoffentlich wenigstens ein Spiegel-Ei eingebracht!
Mein Englisch-Wörterbuch versagt bei der Aussie-Nationalhymne, kannst Du das vielleicht mal übersetzen?

HI Martin, liebste Grüße auch von mir, Moni, bin grad hier mittags zu Besuch. Habe mich wieder gut in Deutschland akklimatisiert, das warme Wetter machte mir die Umstellung leicht und der Jetlag war beim Rückflug viel schwächer. Jetzt hat mich hier die Arbeitswelt wieder und es gibt jede Menge zu tun!

LG Mama und Moni
Bis bald mal!

Alex said...

Really nice content ... Admin... Have great information I contribute with your experienced... I hope you post again soon. I am very happy to leave a comment for this blog, which really put honest information...
IT Logo Design