Thursday, April 9, 2009

Mallacoota (2)

"Our favourite spot on the mainland" -- this is what the Lonely Planet says about the small coastal tourist village at the south-east corner of Australia. The town seems to be a single big caravan park. And it's obvious why it is so popular: it is one of these "pockets" that I spoke of in my previous posting. Not only does it have beautiful coast with rocks and beaches, forests, rivers, and lakes, but its location is attractive: far away from the spoiling influence of any major city, halfway between Melbourne and Sydney, and another 22 km away from the highway, at the end of a long and windy access road (Stichstraße).

Last time (7 weeks ago) I was here for 20 minutes only; this time I stayed 2 days. Mallacoota was balm on my nerves. I met friendly people such as Paul from Frankston who was fishing with his daughter Francis. He had just caught a big flathead when I came, of which I took a photo, and this is how we came to talk. Before I left, they kindly gave me a freshly caught tailor for my dinner, scaled and cleaned, ready for the pan! If you're reading this, Paul and Francis, thanks again, it was yummy! :)

My car had another minor trouble, a leak at the exhaust flange. It was not a case of warranty from the Tasmanian mechanic, but he obligingly (kulanterweise) offered to pay 50% of the bill. Fair enough. So this was not an expensive repair. The weather is sunny here and my mood is slowly getting a little better again.

No comments: